THE BLOG

In this space I will post stories, events, photos, during the time I live in Malawi, Africa working with Adventist Health International. Please come back often (or subscribe) and comment frequently so that we can be connected.

Friday, August 1, 2008

What a Week!

*Note* I've attempted uploading photos but haven't been able to. I will keep trying.*

There is so much I could write about - I just don't know where to start. I guess I will start by saying I am thankful for a break and that Sabbath is coming. Here at Malamulo the work week is Sunday-Thursday with Friday and Saturday off. I came in today just to see how things are going and then check email - but it's a change.

My first week here was not without it's challenges... on Wednesday 10 people who were here from the US left. Ryan Trott had been here for 2 months helping with maintenance and generally keeping things going while others had left for furlough. Jonathan was here doing an evangelistic series and volunteering between here and Blantyre. The other eight were from Engineers Without Borders who were here for two weeks doing an assessment on our water situation. Ryan in particular had been a big help to get me oriented and situated here so when he and the others left I was abruptly met with the reality that I AM NOT LEAVING and I must adjust to life here. I had a hard time that day and felt very overwhelmed with the responsibility on my shoulders of the hospital and all that is happening here. I admit that I am weak but I felt compelled to bring it all to God in prayer. This is his hospital and his mission and he will not let it go. I felt relieved but still sad and lonely.

I knew (as does everyone) that this would not necissarily be easy - in fact it is more difficult than easy. But with God's faithfulness (see Psalm 89) I am confident and strong. I freely admit though, that I CANNOT WAIT for the next group of people from the US to come... They are a group of doctors and nurses from Loma Linda here for two weeks and then other groups follow.

Wednesday morning also greeted me with no running water. As of today the hospital has been out of running water for 3 days!! Any of you who manage a hospital in the states - can you imagine?? I was thinking yesterday that we should be yelling "code green" but no, everyone was going about their business and treating patients - "making do". There was some complaining but not much could be done. We did find it was a broken pipe and it was fixed yesterday. So by today around noon we had water again! This also brings me to taking a bath without running water. I have to admit that I am not proficient at this. I found myself standing in the bathroom looking at the bucket of water in the tub trying to figure out what to do. I did manage to wash my hair last night and take a "bath", but it will take some getting used to I suppose.

I've decided to mainly purchase fresh veggies and fruits at the local market. Market days are mostly Friday and Saturday. They have a variety of things - used clothes, baskets, pots, bicycle repair shop, food (tomatoes, onions, cabbage, beans, rice, okra, eggplant, potatoes, etc), cloth, & blankets. I went this morning with Masa (my houseworker) and this is what I bought: (note $1 dollar = MK140 Kwacha)

1 cabbage (big) 50 Kwacha
10 big tomatoes 100 Kwacha (plus one thrown in)
5 onions 50 Kwacha
bunch of bananas 3/10 Kwacha (50 K for the bunch)
That is a little less than $2.00!! In the rainy season there will be more variety too. There are shops that sell oil, sugar, eggs, soap and other things too. Some of that may be cheaper in Blantyre at the grocery store (large South African chain).

I've been eating a lot of rice and starchy foods. I'm trying to get protein and other things too. For fruit bananas are the only thing in season. Papayas will be more soon and then mangoes are in November. I just missed the avacados. Masa makes me lunch some days. He does the cleaning and gardening and gets water if we are out. He also gets small things fixed or runs errands if needed. He is nice and does a good job. He asks me lots of questions about America and I've shown him the news magazines I have. It's interesting to look at it through his eyes. He is teaching me some Chichewa - the language here.

Phone calls are cheap if you use a calling card to call me... www.viapin.com. If you want to call, send me an email and I'll give you my number. I have Cristy's cell phone until she gets back. This morning my family called me. It was so good to hear from them!! Unfortunately it was not good news as my dad is in the hospital. I appreciate your prayers for him.

Sorry this is long - next time I'll try to write a specific story so it won't be so rambling. Bye bye--

1 comment:

jason m w said...

wow.... no water...
that sounds like a problem.
i like those market prices. we really missed that kind of an experiance when we were there.

think of all the great stories you're going to have at the end of this adventure.

prayin for you.