THE BLOG

In this space I will post stories, events, photos, during the time I live in Malawi, Africa working with Adventist Health International. Please come back often (or subscribe) and comment frequently so that we can be connected.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Some Pictures - FINALLY!

Finally I've figured out how to compress the photos and post them on the blog. This is the front of the hospital and main entrance for staff, visitors, ambulances, etc. My office windows is just to the right of the photo.









This is the ICU. There are 6 beds. I saw a ventilator but I'm not sure it or any other equipment in this room was working. I don't think ICU is used very much but still -- can you imagine?





These are some kids who are patients at the Nutritional Resource Unit. This is my favorite ward, I think. The organization Americares funds and supports this work. It is actually a canvas tent-like structure behind the hospital that strictly works for kids who are malnourished without other medical trouble. They feed the kids and teach the moms healthy cooking and usually a simple trade they can use to make money. The little boy in orange is named Thomas and he is an orphan. He is probably about 3 years old and lives with an auntie. His smile steals my heart every time I walk by.

This is the supply chain ("stores") department. Notice the wheelchair used to bring supplies to the departments. The lady in the lab coat is Bernadette and seems to be the supervisor and know what is going on. There are many supplies that we live without and just "make do". An example is that all of the sutures in the OR are expired - some from the 90's! Dr. Fam, the surgeon, just tests each one before using. We also don't have any muscle relaxant for surgeries. I could go on and on...

This is a supply closet on the labor ward.







Makwasa market... this is where I usually buy my vegetables. Actually there isn't much bargaining done. They tell you the price and if you don't like it you just walk away. Usually I just look for the food that looks the freshest or best. I can't argue with a basket full for $1.00 (see prior post).



More market...







I don't have any pictures of myself yet. Believe me though I'm doing okay and look pretty much the same as the last time I saw you. :) Last night I went to an evangelistic campaign that my neighbor (with the college) is holding. I didn't understand a word of it but absorbed the experience. We met in a nearby village in their marketplace along the road. There were probably 100-200 people along with 2-3 goats and chickens. I was the only "muzungu" (white person) as usual. I was sitting there on the ground wishing I was as flexible as the ladies here who can sit with their legs straight out for hours at a time. Since I couldn't understand the sermon, I spent the time praying for the people as I watched the stars light up and the sun set. I was also contemplating the fact that I am here... maybe I'll post more of my thoughts later.

1 comment:

jason m w said...

ya... finally is right.
that is totally amazing. and i'm freaked out by hospitals here.