THE BLOG

In this space I will post stories, events, photos, during the time I live in Malawi, Africa working with Adventist Health International. Please come back often (or subscribe) and comment frequently so that we can be connected.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Briefly...

I haven't updated for a while and things are fairly busy but I wanted to write something so I'll try to be brief...

The group from Loma Linda Medical Center that were here for two weeks left yesterday (Saturday). The time they were here was busy as I was the "point person" for any questions, concerns, issues, transportation, etc. They wanted to go see Lake Malawi while they were here and asked if I would come along. So it worked out for us to go on Thursday morning and come back Friday evening. It was a long drive especially because I was squished in the very back of the land-cruiser with all the bags and Mindi. We had a good time though and arrived at the lake by noon. We found a place to stay after haggling for a cheaper price and all stayed together in a house type of thing on the beach. They served us a buffet breakfast and best of all there was a HOT shower! (That was the first real shower I've had since I came here since at my house there isn't enough water pressure for me to stand up and take a normal shower.) I went to bed early and got up about 5 to watch the sun rise over the lake! It was beautiful and peaceful and very good for me. We drove back through a game park where we finally saw some “dangerous animals”. My camera battery was dead so I didn’t get any pictures, but I saw hippos, antelopes (all different kinds) baboons, buffalo, elephants, etc. It was fun! Nice especially to get out of the office for a couple of days.

On Sabbath I went with the group from LLU to the airport and dropped them off. Then drove to the SDA church near the Union office to meet Don Pursley who is the board chairman and my boss (technically) to bring him out to Malamulo. We had lunch with Emanuel and Raquel de Costa who are the ADRA Malawi director (he is). They are from Portugal and have two young boys. It was really nice to meet them and I'm sure I'll see them more.

I found out that Don S is still having some health challenges and will not be back in Malawi this week. I have no idea when he will return. I was hopeful to give his office and the responsibility back to him this week but it looks like that won't happen. It also means that I will be doing a presentation to the Board on Thursday and speaking for a few minutes at the Centenial program on Friday night. I shouldn't worry about being up front but the perception of being in charge and being the face of the hospital. It also seems like I should have all the answers if I am in the CEO role - but I don't so that's the way it is.

I appreciate your prayers and the notes that I've gotten via email. There are some important decisions being made this week at the board meeting and even more important that they are actually followed through on. Please pray for wisdom and guidance for those of us who are in leadership here at Malamulo. God has blessed this place for 100 years and will continue to do so, but not without a lot of work.

No comments: