THE BLOG

In this space I will post stories, events, photos, during the time I live in Malawi, Africa working with Adventist Health International. Please come back often (or subscribe) and comment frequently so that we can be connected.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Ready? Set? .... Wait

Dear Lord,
Help us to do our very best this day
and be content with today's troubles
so that we shall not borrow the troubles of tomorrow.
Save us from the sin of worrying,
lest stomach ulcers be the badge of our lack of faith.
Amen.
[Peter Marshall]

There is nothing like having a long (relatively) time to get ready for something big and then having to sit back and wait for it to happen. Maybe it's like a wedding except without all the last minute details? So not really like a wedding at all.

I got a phone call last week asking me to step into the role of Interim CEO of Malamulo Hospital (where I will be living) while the current CEO is going through some medical treatments. He has been away since May. I immediately balked at the idea. However I realized they were serious and I determined to be willing to help where needed. I asked how long this might be and they were unsure. [I just heard tonight it might only be through the end of August.] With this request the financial part of my responsibilty will be put on the "back burner".

I haven't written about it here yet because I've been trying to process what all of this means in my mind. The way it is turning out when I arrive in Malawi, Cristy - the Chief Medical Officer - will be gone to the states, Dr Hart - president of AHI & LLU - will have left the day before I arrive, there will be a group of 5 engineers from Engineers Without Borders there analyzing the water situation, and a new surgeon arriving from India that same week. There are other leaders on campus who will be there but no other administrators. So if you are wondering - I feel overwhelmed. Of course all of this is short term and it won't take me too long to get settled, but it does seem like I will be quite alone.

In some ways I'm ready to go or feel like I should get busy but there is nothing I can do until I arrive... that brings me back to the prayer at the top - I need to remember not to borrow the worries from tomorrow. I know that there are plenty of people supporting me in my endeavor and they (AHI) wouldn't have asked me to take this role if they weren't willing and able to help. As Don told me "we are all in this together". I still have a funny feeling in my stomach...

That brings me to today (because that is all I can worry about, right?). I have dubbed myself "super auntie" as I am watching all three of my nephews (6, 4, & 1) for two nights while my brother & SIL get away to the beach. Tonight is the last night and the boys are all tucked away in their beds. We have made it so far with only a scraped finger, a stubborn nap time, a near choking on a fish cracker, lots of stories and lots of food. (It's hard to believe my 6 & 4 yo nephews already eat more than I do!!) Being a parent is hard work and I gladly hand you all gold medals to those of you who have that responsibility - especially if you are single! I don't know how you manage!!

Thank you to those of you who helped with the LCD projector(s). I actually was able to get two to take with me - one for Malamulo and one for the hospital in Lilongwe. I also recieved my new laptop (DELL Latitude D830) last week which is a blessing as well. Tomorrow is my last Hepititas B series shot and some other final errands that need done. I guess it is officially 3 weeks from tomorrow that I leave...

If nothing else I ask for your prayers... patience, courage, strength, wisdom, and more patience...

5 comments:

Vohwinkel Photography said...

Hey Elisa, I don't know if you know this, but the type on this post is set to black so you can't read it unless you highlight it with your mouse!

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Good luck!

Nicole Brown said...

Super duper auntie! Thank you SIL for giving Randy and I a break...you are amazing! Our days are in His Hands. I love you!

elisa said...

I realized the font was messed up today and was just able to fix it. My apologies!! Good catch though, Stephanie... you are clever!

Unknown said...

I am overwhelmed at the thought of the task you are undertaking at the prompting of the Holy Spirit's leading. I have determined to keep you covered in prayer for wisdom, strength, and comfort. you are not alone, ever! Remember that you have the angels, the Holy Spirit, and the Lord Jesus and the Heavenly Father.........that seems like quite a majority to me! Please tuck lots of hugs in your pocket to pull out and use as needed. Love you, MOM

Anonymous said...

Elisa,

Having known you since you were a little child I am not surprised at your commitment to Christ and His Kingdom. You are up to the task...any task because you allow Him to lead in your life.

All the best and you will be in our prayers,
Pastor Dick and Carol