THE BLOG

In this space I will post stories, events, photos, during the time I live in Malawi, Africa working with Adventist Health International. Please come back often (or subscribe) and comment frequently so that we can be connected.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Normal Life

1st some photos - this is from our trip to Victoria Falls - Blanca, Lety, Cristy, Fernando, Elisa, & Anthony
 
me in front of Vic Falls "the smoke that thunders"
The photo above is Mt Mulanje of my last post and a rainbow. It is beautiful!

I’ve been chastising myself for not posting more often so I think I’ll write something and try to be brief. I’m in Blantyre for a couple of days (thus some decent internet) and am enjoying a much needed break from things at Malamulo. I worked Sunday-Friday so was so thankful for Sabbath and a chance to just relax.

Today Cristy and I with a few others went down to Nyala Park in the Shire River Valley. It is a small-ish game park that we’ve been to many times. The three who came with us hadn’t seen any “big” animals in Africa yet so it was fun to experience the giraffe, zebra, nyala, impala, wildebeest and various birds and scenery with them again.

I recently picked up a book that I have been reading off and on since 2006. It is Dallas Willard’s “Divine Conspiracy”. It is excellent regarding the Sermon on the Mount (or “discourse on a hillside”) although I find Willard a little heavy to read. I guess that is why I’m still plowing through it and it’s been 3+ years! I enjoy it though and have been reading a little bit at a time. I’ve also just almost finished an epic novel about Australia that was a bestseller in the 70’s when it was written called “The Thorn Birds”. It is interesting to read about life in Australia – something I know nothing about. Since I finished that I just started a classic by Annie Dillard “Pilgrim At Tinker Creek”. It is in the same genre as Thoreau’s “Walden Pond”.

I have begun to think and pray about my future as my two year agreement is nearing completion (July). I don’t have any strong leadings or impressions as to where I should go – either staying in Malawi or going back to the US. But I also haven’t put my resume out anywhere in the US either. There are a lot of good things happening in Malawi – but I don’t know if I’m meant to stay and continue on. I would appreciate prayers for this.

For now, I’m enjoying all of the “comings and goings” of visitors, missionaries, and volunteers as spring seems to bring lots of different people around. I’m also looking forward to my trip to the GC in Atlanta in June. I’m close to be able to counting down the weeks and days.

Back to work this morning (Monday) with errands and people to see in Blantyre. We’ll attend choir practice tonight before heading back to Malamulo so it will be a long day. Blessings abound though and I’m grateful for many things – family, friends, health, and a beautiful place to live.

1 comment:

More About the Z Family said...

I love the beautiful pictures Elisa - thank you so much for sharing! We will definitely pray for you and your future. I love the blog update!