THE BLOG

In this space I will post stories, events, photos, during the time I live in Malawi, Africa working with Adventist Health International. Please come back often (or subscribe) and comment frequently so that we can be connected.

Monday, January 5, 2009

“Chakha Cha-bueno!!” (Happy New Year!!)

“Can you believe it’s 2009 already?” How many times have you asked that question in the last week? Well for me it’s been several times at least. If you indulge me, I remember when it just turned 2000 and I thought that 2010 seemed SO FAR away and now it is only one year! I am sure everyone feels the same! 2009 has some depressing parts since it is the year that I turn 30 which may or may not be traumatic (I haven’t decided yet). But in general I am excited at the prospect of a New Year, new start, and fresh possibilities. I have found that many people here in Malawi are more excited about the New Year than Christmas. To them, understandably, it is a marker of time and they spend the day celebrating life and the blessings of God that has preserved them for yet another year. This is poignant in this society where death (usually premature) is so prevalent and almost “normal” or expected. Celebrating life is very important when so many friends and family members have already died. Many attend a church service on New Year’s Day and then enjoy a special meal with rice, chicken, and beans (all very special in the villages).

My New Year celebration consisted of a potluck dinner on n. y. eve and then going to bed reading a good book, pretty exciting huh? The week between Christmas and New Year (up to today – Sunday) has really been slow for me at the hospital since many people are gone and businesses were closed. In some ways it was nice because it felt like I got a bit of a break but not a REAL break because most days I at least came to the hospital and/or had people coming to my house with questions.

Wednesday (n.y. eve) Cristy and I went in to Blantyre to pick up Don S and his wife Gayle (aka “Mrs. Don”) from the airport. They are happy to be here and Gayle is experiencing Malawi for the first time. She is a sweet lady and is anxious to get involved at the college where she has some experience in the past. She has taught and been the school counselor in many different settings. It is neat to hear her stories and have a woman’s perspective on mission life. She and Don have been missionaries all over the world for about 30 years. I’m also glad to have Don back to help with the hospital.

Speaking of the hospital – I hesitate to even type this because I don’t want it to be a “fluke” – but December brought many blessings financially to the hospital. We were able to purchase the needed medicines for cash, pay salaries before Christmas, and most of all pay our current payroll tax to the Malawi government. One employee who has worked here for 21 years told me that this was the first time in 5 years that he remembers being paid before Christmas. As to our payroll taxes – yes I realize that this is illegal – but we have not been paying our current monthly tax for at least all of 2008 if not longer. In addition to that we owe several million kwachas in fines, but they were most concerned that we aren’t paying the current tax. All I can to is praise God and give Him the glory!! This seems to be the result of our lay-offs that happened in October so I am hoping that it continues. I am mostly just amazed at God’s grace and mercy – even when we have made so many mistakes and bad decisions, when things are put right He blesses! This does not mean the financial challenges are over – we have A LONG way to go but what is encouraging is to see small improvements.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. The writer of Lamentations says that God’s mercies are new every morning… sort of like a New Year I guess. The past is gone and all that lies before is the unknown and a clean slate. After looking back over 2008 I have to say that I have no idea what will happen in 2009.